Read > Lead > Achieve
For more than 100 years, Pi Beta Phi has believed in the power of reading. Read > Lead > Achieve® is Pi Beta Phi's philanthropic effort, which inspires a lifelong love of reading that can unlock true potential creating a more literate and productive society. It is easy to get involved in Pi Beta Phi's Read > Lead > Achieve reading initiatives. Our charge is for each and every Pi Beta Phi to find a way they can participate, donate or advocate for Read > Lead > Achieve!
Pi Phi's international Read > Lead > Achieve initiatives include the following:
- Fraternity Day of Service - Pi Beta Phi's international day of literacy-related service celebrated in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday.
- Champions are Readers ® Pi Beta Phi's unique reading enrichment program for students in prekindergarten through third grade.
- The Literacy Advocacy Project - an advocacy training program presented by Pi Beta Phi in partnership with the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy.
- Arrow in the Arctic - Pi Phi’s Canadian philanthropy, Arrow in the Arctic, supports reading in Canada’s Northern library systems: the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Read > Lead > Achieve Month - Throughout the month of September, Pi Beta Phi is dedicated to raising awareness for Read > Lead > Achieve!
Each year, the chapter hosts two philanthropic events. In the fall, the chapter hosts Nacho Night, which raises funds for the Pi Beta Phi Friendship Fund and Literacy Fund. Each spring, Pizookie is held to fundraise for the local organization, the Laura Carson Foundation, which supports literacy efforts in the local Starkville Oktibbeha School District. In addition to both of these events, in 2019 the program Champions Are Readers was established to promote literacy in Starkville City Schools. As we continue to build our legacy, we strive to create an environment which fosters integrity, lifelong commitment, honor and respect, personal and intellectual growth, philanthropic service to others, and sincere friendship for our members.